Liability for Car Accident in Another State?

by Anonymous

My son lives in Washington state and had a car accident in which others were injured. He and I were on the same insurance policy and we both were on the title of the car.

Can I be liable even though I was not the driver and do not live in that state?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Liability for Car Accident in Another State?":

Anonymous (Washington):

Yes. You can be held liable. The owner, driver, or both are subject to legal action in the case of a collision and resulting personal injuries. From the tone of the facts you present it appears your son was responsible for causing the collision and resulting injuries to others.

It's now in the hands of your insurance company. There is little you or you son can do other than to cooperate with your insurance company. If you both haven't already been contacted by your insurance company's Claim Adjuster, you will be shortly.

The Adjuster will in all likelihood require your telephonic recorded statement and that of your son. That is perfectly normal. As long as your son tells the truth your insurance company will cover the collision. Failure to cooperate with your own insurance company's insurance Claims Adjuster is grounds for them to refuse to cover the collision and injuries. That is something you and your son do not want to happen.

Your insurance company won't automatically pay the claim. They will protect you and your son and will only agree to pay the claim if they conclude your son was at fault.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Insurance Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: