Liability for Residential Basketball Court...

by Elizabeth
(Gainesville, FL)

I am renting an apartment in a fairly large complex. They have two half-court basketball courts. Both are in quite bad shape. The one has cracks and holes and areas where the top surface is coming up so it leaves an area where someone could easily trip and hurt themselves.

There is nothing in the lease agreement I signed about the basketball courts. I was curious if I tripped and say split my chin open which caused an ugly scar that I was emotionally bothered by.

I know I would have a case, but what could I use to substantiate my case?

Do you know some similar cases that would serve as precedence? Like similar basketball court or tennis court injuries in a residential area, or what the governmental standards are for residential/landlord up-keep on basketball and recreational areas?


Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Liability for Residential Basketball Court...":

You spoke in your question as if this accident had not yet happened, so please be advised that the advice given is to a party who has been in an accident not one who is wondering what "would" happen.

Property owners are responsible to maintain their property in a hazard free condition. The cracks and court condition described in an area where the property owner should definitely expect people to play, run and jump sounds hazardous.

If you have fallen and injured yourself as a result of such a condition, you should contact your landlord and make an incident report. From there, you would need to submit a claim to the property insurance company that covers the premises.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Apartment Injury Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: