Liability in Collision with Unregistered Car?

by Anonymous

I was driving an unregistered car and another vehicle crashed into me. My car was totaled. I'm wondering if the at-fault driver of the other vehicle is still liable for the damages to my car, even though it was unregistered? Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Liability in Collision with Unregistered Car?":

Anonymous (USA):

Yes she is. As long as you can prove ownership of your car, and the other driver admits liability, there is no legal reason you shouldn’t be reimbursed for your damages.

To prove ownership all you will need is a Bill of Sale. Legal registration is not a requirement to prove ownership. Registering a car is a State matter separate from a private matter between two individuals.

If the at-fault driver attempts to use the issue of the registration as a reason not to pay, she is bluffing. You are not at any legal disadvantage in a claim against the at-fault driver.

You didn’t mention the state in which the collision occurred. Check the Small Claims Court in your district of county. If the amount of damages is less than the Court’s jurisdictional limits (the maximum amount one can sue for in Small Claims Court) you can file a claim against the driver.

A lawsuit in Small Claims Court has the same effect as if you had filed suit in the State Supreme Court. The differences are only the amounts and the people.

Lawyers normally don’t practice in Small Claims Court. These Courts are really reserved for everyday, hard working people who can’t afford, or don’t want to hire an Attorney to file a lawsuit.

Once you file your suit the Sheriff or Constable will serve the lawsuit on the at-fault driver. She will be ordered to appear in court for trial. If she fails to appear you will receive a default judgment against her.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Broken Traffic Law Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: