Lost ring finger on left hand...

by Travis
(West Virginia)

I'm a heavy equipment operator. While I was putting fuel in a piece of heavy equipment I fell and hooked my wedding ring on the equipment, tearing my ring finger off from my hand just below the first joint. The rest of my finger and knuckle had to be removed.

How long should I be off work for an injury like this? How much should I be compensated? Generally, how long will it take to settle a case like this? Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Lost ring finger on left hand...":

Travis (West Virginia):

The amount of time you should be away from work is entirely dependent on how long it takes for your injuries to heal. Your workers comp treating physician will determine the time when you can return to your job duties, if ever. At that time, if you haven't been diagnosed with a disability, whether temporary, partial, or total, you should be able to return to your former job duties.

Workers compensation insurance doesn't pay for an injured worker's pain and suffering. As a result, unless your injury results in a disability, you will likely not receive any cash settlement. Instead you will receive reimbursement for your medical bills, out of pocket expenses directly related to the treatment of your injury, and about two thirds the amount of your lost wages.

The amount of time your workers comp claim will take is once again completely dependent upon the time it takes for your injuries to heal. Once you have reached a level of MMI (Maximum Medical Improvement) you should be in a position to end your claim.

Some workers compensation claims involving minor injuries can be handled by the injured worker. More serious injury claims like yours should be handled by an experienced workers comp attorney. Most will not charge for an initial office consultation. Because of the seriousness of your injury you would be well-served to at least sit down with one or two attorneys to get their advice.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Loss of Body Part at Work Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: