Lost wages for homeschooling?

by Daphne
(Columbia, SC)

I was injured and I have been going to physical therapy for over 2 months, about twice a week. The insurance company says I'm not entitled to lost wages since I'm at home homeschooling my daughter.

My argument is that I've lost time going to PT twice a week. If I had the money I would have hired someone to watch my daughter and help her with her work, such as a substitute teacher. Instead we've lost this time. What can I do about this? Am I entitled to lost wages? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Lost wages for homeschooling?":

Daphne (Columbia, SC):

You have a legitimate argument. If you were injured on the job and have workers' comp insurance, and your primary treating physician made clear you weren't ready to return to work, then you should be receiving about 2/3rds of your lost wages during the time your physician states you are unable to work.

Unless you were receiving some sort of income or benefits related to teaching your daughter at home, or you were receiving any other income during your physician-approved time away from the job, you should still be entitled to about 2/3rds of your lost wages during the time your treating physician states you are unable to work.

Contact a worker's compensation attorney. Most worker's comp attorneys will not charge for an initial office consultation. Bring along your therapy records as well as any other documents related to your work-related injury. Let the attorney review them.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Lost Income Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: