Massive stroke because doctors ignored the warning signs...

by Priscilla
(Singer, WI)

On Friday November 21st my mom was complaining of loss of vision and extreme pain in her right arm. When the fire department arrived on the scene they noticed signs of carbon monoxide (CO) in the house. They rushed my mom to the nearest hospital where she was transferred to a different hospital for treatment in the hyperbaric chamber.

Before going in the chamber and out of the chamber she was still complaining of arm pain. The hospital ignored her pain and once she was done with the chamber they sent her home. No more than 12 hrs later my mom suffered a massive stroke as the direct result of clotting.

They ICU doctors found that they had to do emergency surgery on my mom's right arm (the arm that had been causing her the pain). There they found that the pain was from three major clots in her arteries...clots that had broken off and streamed to her neck, ultimately blocking the oxygen to her brain resulting in the massive stroke.

My mom spent three weeks in the ICU. She is now on a ventilator by trachea, she has a peg tube for feeding and is unable to speak. The doctors at the first and second hospital ignored her pain which ultimately caused my mom a terrible stroke. What can I do about this? Is this a legal case? Should I hire an attorney? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Massive stroke because doctors ignored the warning signs...":

Priscilla (Singer, WI:)

From the facts you present, your mother may have the basis of a medical malpractice claim against the doctors and the hospital where she was treated.

Medical malpractice claims are complex, and proving them is always difficult. It's rare for a doctor or hospital to admit to having committed malpractice, or at a minimum, having overlooked a patient's medical requirements.

Gather copies of all of your mother's medical records and bills, and other related expenses. Make several appointments with different med mal attorneys. Most do not charge for initial office consultations.

The attorneys will review the facts of the case with you and tell you whether or not you have a viable legal claim for medical malpractice. If you do, choose an attorney you feel comfortable with. You want to know the attorney is not only competent, but that he or she will be responsive to your questions.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Hospital Error Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: