Medical Malpractice Case: Injection in Sciatic Nerve?

by Linda
(Clearfield, UT)

I think this is a medical malpractice case. I was given an IM injection in the ER. I questioned the location choice but the injection was given in the same spot anyway and it hit my sciatic nerve. I now can't use my leg, I have continuous pain due to the injection into my sciatic nerve, I'm unable to work or take care of my home and kids.

I think it's the fault of the nurse or tech or whoever it was that administered the injection. Will the hospital pay for my lost wages and pain and suffering?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Medical Malpractice Case: Injection in Sciatic Nerve?":

Medical malpractice cases are difficult (though not impossible) to prove and more than any other case, require a causal connection between what occurred (the injection) and the damages you allege (the continuous pain).

You should first attempt to receive some sort of compensation from the hospital but unfortunately it is doubtful they will pay. Hospitals are inundated with patient complaints alleging wrong doing by staff, nurses and doctors. More than likely, you will need to find a doctor who will state that the injection site selected was incorrect.

Not only that, the doctor must substantiate that the medical care provider fell below the standard of care in selecting this site and that the injection is the primary cause of the pain you feel today. Any history of sciatica or similar pains will go against your case.

Furthermore, doctors in the same community will seldom submit opinions against other doctors. You may have to go outside of your general area to find a doctor willing to provide the detailed narrative you need.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to ER Malpractice Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: