Minor Child Assaulted by Other Minors...

by Tammy
(Louisville, KY USA)

My minor son was walking to his friend's house and was assaulted by 2 other minor boys. A police report was taken. I took my son to the ER for medical attention. It was found that he had a concussion, abrasions, and a fractured nose.

I have filed charges against one of the minor boys that assaulted my son and will be pressing charges against the other one also. I want to find out how these medical bills will be taken care of? Thank you for any information you can give.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Minor Child Assaulted by Other Minors...":

Tammy (Louisville, KY USA):

In the State of Kentucky, as in most states, parents can be held responsible for the acts of violence their children perpetrate upon others. It is important for you to have copies of the police reports. From the facts you present your son's best interest would be best served by filing a complaint against the other minor as well.

It is possible your medical bills may be covered by the parents' homeowners insurance policies. Even if the attacks occurred off-site, sometimes homeowners insurance policies will cover the acts of children, especially for the injuries they may cause to others. Even if the homeowners insurance is not available, the assets of the children's parents may be subject to a judgment rendered by a court.

There are some personal injury cases which can legitimately be pursued by the injured parties without the intervention of attorneys. Your case seem to require legal assistance. Most attorneys will not charge any fee for an initial office consultation. That would be a good starting point. Once you speak with one or more attorneys you will be in a better position to know the pros and cons of pursuing legal action against the childrens' parents.

You should know it may not be necessary to actually file a lawsuit. Many times these cases can be negotiated and settled with the insurance companies well before any lawsuit is filed.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Parental Liability Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: