Misinformation after partial amputation at work?

by Richard
(Sunray, Texas)

I got injured at work which resulted in a partial amputation. My employer did not file a workmans' comp claim, my wife and I did. I started with one adjuster who gave me certain information, and now I am with another adjuster who is saying something else.

My first adjuster told me about a lump sum, and the second adjuster said I had to be employed for 90 days. I went back to work, got suspended, then got a trespass order. What am I supposed to do here? Is my employer responsible for covering my medical bills and treatment? Can they give me a trespass order? This all seems underhanded.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Misinformation after partial amputation at work?":

Richard (Sunray, Texas):

The factors you present paint a complex scenario. Conflicting statements from adjusters at the workers' compensation insurance company are inappropriate. You deserve a straight answer.

You have two viable options:

First: Contact the workers' comp adjusters and tell them you want to speak with a supervisor. They can’t deny you that request. Explain to the supervising adjuster you have received conflicting stories regarding your claim.

The supervisor will likely speak with the adjusters and review your file. Once that occurs, you will be contacted by the supervisor with a response. If, at that time you aren't satisfied, then go to the second viable option.

Second: Contact a workers' compensation attorney. Most don't charge any fee for an initial office consultation. Moreover, the attorney who represents you will not receive a fee until, and unless, he settles your claim (or wins it at an administrative hearing).

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Loss of Body Part at Work Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: