My 12 year old daughter was bitten by our neighbor's dog...

by Maria
(Magna, Utah )

My 12 year old was checking our mailbox when a big dog from across the street scared her. She didn't run or freak out until the dog bit her on her upper right leg.I went over to the neighbors' and told the owners about the incident. They said dog is up to date on shots.

I took my daughter to Urgent Care. Everything seems to be okay so far. My question is, can we still submit a lawsuit for compensation even though her bite mark is on the upper right thigh and therefore the scar won't be readily visible? How is a case like this handled? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "My 12 year old daughter was bitten by our neighbor's dog...":

Maria (Magna, Utah):

A lawsuit should be the last resort. Hopefully your neighbor has homeowners insurance. If so, you can file a claim with their insurance company. If your neighbor is not insured or refuses to give you their insurance information, you can ask them to pay for your daughter's medical bills and related expenses out-of-pocket.

In the event you are unable to amicably resolve the matter, you can file a lawsuit. Because a permanent scar is quite serious, even if it's not in an easily visible area, you would be best served by seeking the advice and counsel of several personal injury attorneys.

You can also consider filing a small claims lawsuit in one of Utah's small claims courts. Utah's Small Claims Courts have jurisdiction to hear cases up to $10,000.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Child Dog Attack Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: