My 7 year old son was attacked by a wild animal during outdoor gym class...

by Craig
(East Windsor, CT)

My 7 year old son was attacked by a rabid fox while outside for gym class at school. I have no insurance and I'm facing mounting medical bills for his treatment. Can I get the school system to pay for the bills? Is there anything else I can do to get his treatment covered? Thank you!

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "My 7 year old son was attacked by a wild animal during outdoor gym class...":

Craig (East Windsor, CT)

From the facts you present, the school should be entirely liable for your son's injuries and resulting "damages." In the case of a minor, damages can include your son's medical treatment and medical bills, your out-of-pocket expenses (for his medications, costs of transportation, including the gasoline you use, medical facility parking lot fees, and other expenses directly related to your son's treatment and full recovery).

The school had a legal duty of care to protect your son from foreseeable injuries. If the school knew, or should have known foxes had been coming onto the school's property, the school should have better supervised the area, or they should not have permitted students to be in the general area where the foxes were known to be.

As direct result of the school's actions and omissions, the school breached its duty of care. The breach entitles your son to compensation.

If your son's injuries were serious, including serious bites, torn ligaments, muscle, or tendons, scarring from the bite, and like injuries, you and your son would be best served by seeking the advice and counsel of an experienced personal injury attorney.

In your son's case, his damages may also include compensation for the emotional distress and mental anguish he suffered as a result of the traumatic event. Unless you were present at the time your son was bitten, and as a direct result were traumatized by the event, you yourself will not be entitled to compensation.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Animal Attack Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: