My son cut off two fingers at work...

by Mom of lost fingers
(Las Vegas, NV)

My son cut two finger portions off while using heavy equipment at work that didn't have proper safety guards. He yelled for help, and when someone finally came, they did not call an ambulance or properly prep the fingers so they could be saved and reattached. Instead, they told him to go to hospital himself (while he was in shock).

This is awful. What should he do? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "My son cut off two fingers at work...":

Mom of lost fingers (Las Vegas, NV):

Your son must immediately file a workers' compensation claim. Workers' comp insurance will cover his medical bills, and his out-of-pocket expenses for medications, costs of transportation to and from treatment, hospital parking fees, and other costs directly related to his injury and treatment. His WC insurance will also cover about two-thirds of his lost wages.

Even though his employer appeared to be callous in not properly and promptly responding to you son's injury, such callousness, delay of medical attention, and sheer negligence is irreverent to his claim.

In workers' comp claims, negligence is not a determinative issue. Whether or not your son's employer was negligent will have no basis in his claim. All that's necessary for your son to receive workers comp benefits, is to show the injury happened while on the job.

Furthermore, payment for pain and suffering is not permitted in workers' comp claims. Instead, in addition to coverage for his medical bills, out-of-pocket expenses, and partial lost wages, your son may be entitled to a partial temporary, or permanent disability lump sum settlement.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Loss of Body Part at Work Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: