My Workers Compensation Provider Hasn't Found Me a Doctor...

by Diane

I had surgery 2 weeks ago for an open compound fracture to my pinky. I was told to see a specialist hand doctor in 2 weeks. The workers compensation provider has not found a follow up hand specialist for me to see, let alone gotten an appointment.

What choices do I have? My hand is still wrapped and stitched from surgery.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "My Workers Compensation Provider Hasn't Found Me a Doctor...":

Diane (Florida):

Your employer is supposed to have a list of physicians for you to choose from. We suggest you contact them again. You should keep a record of the times you contacted them, with whom you spoke, and the nature of the conversation.

If you are not provided with the name and address of at least one physician within a reasonable amount of time we suggest you tell the insurance adjuster you must see a physician now, especially if you are concerned for your health and more specifically, the condition of your hand.

If they cannot give you the name of another hand specialist, or orthopedic surgeon, you should ask for permission to seek out a physician yourself. Tell the insurance company you want them to consent to the visit and agree to pay the medical costs you will incur. Be sure to ask them for a written confirmation of their consent.

Additionally, you should find out if the physician you are about to see will accept Workmans Compensation insurance.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Workers Compensation Doctor Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: