Need surgery for carpal tunnel after retiring from job that caused it?

by Cheryl
(Indianapolis, Indiana)

I worked in a library for almost 20 years and now have carpal-tunnel. I have had 3 surgeries on one hand and 2 on the other between 2012 and 2014. I retired from my job in February 2012. I am now going to need another surgery on my hand.

My question is, what can I do about this? Am I able to receive workers' comp for this, or there another route I should go for compensation? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Need surgery for carpal tunnel after retiring from job that caused it?":

Cheryl (Indianapolis, Indiana):

We can only hope you previously filed for workers' compensation benefits at the time of your previous surgeries. This of course presumes the previous carpal tunnel injury was in fact work related.

If you did receive workers' comp benefits during that time, and your doctor will confirm your upcoming surgery is directly related to, and is a direct result of your work-related duties during your time at the library, then your workers' comp benefits should extend to the upcoming surgery.

If your doctor will confirm the relationship between the surgeries and your work duties, and the workers' comp insurance company denies your claim, then it will be time to seek legal representation.

Fortunately, most workers' compensation attorneys will not charge for an initial office consultation. If you do seek out these attorneys, be sure to bring with you to the appointments copies off all your medical records and bills starting with the first report of injury.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Carpal Tunnel Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: