Negligent Landlord Fails to Repair Faulty Stair Rail...

by Syed
(Manassas, Virginia, USA)

I fell down the stairs and was injured inside my home. When I first came to see the house I brought a few things to the attention of my landlord, including the fact that the stair rail was loose. The landlord stated it was only minor and ignored it.

Finally I lost my balance and fell down the stairs while holding the rail. I've been to the hospital and they found a lumbar strain injury. They gave me medicine and advised me to rest for at least six weeks.

In this situation is there anything I can do?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Negligent Landlord Fails to Repair Faulty Stair Rail...":

Syed (Virginia):

You should take photographs of the loosened handrail and present them to your landlord. In a letter to her you should remind her she told you the looseness of the handrail was “minor”. If she balks when you ask her to pay for your medical bills, then ask her for the name of the insurance company who issued the policy for the residence.

If she still refuses you can file a claim in Small Claims Court. Most Small Claims Courts jurisdictional amounts are capped at $5,000. These courts also allow for Mental Anguish recovery.

So for instance when you fill out the Small Claims application and your medical and chiropractic bills to date amount to $1,000, you can sue for $1,000 in medical and chiropractic bills and $4,000 for pain and suffering related to your injuries.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Landlord Dispute Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: