Neurologist not treating ADHD?

by Alice
(El Paso, texas)

My brother has ADHD and his doctor won't treat him, she says because of his behavior. Which makes no sense, since he acts well behaved in her office. Whatever happens at home is the job of the parents to deal with, right? My brother is twelve years old, but he is going through his rebellious stage like we all did.

I really disagree with what she is doing. What the doctor does is help control his ADHD and control his sleeping habits with medication, and as long as he is drinking his medicine, I really don't see why she is denying treating my brother.

Yes, my brother is really rebellious, but her job is to see if the medication is causing him to focus better at school and in his sleeping pattern, nothing apart from that. This concerns me since my brother is starting to develop some form of anxiety that leads to him pulling part of his hair out of his head.

Can she really do this, just stop treating my brother? What can we do? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Neurologist not treating ADHD?":

Alice (El Paso, texas):

From the facts you present, it appears the underlying issue is patient abandonment. This is generally defined as a physician's withdrawal from treating a patient without giving reasonable notice to the patient, or if the patient is a minor, reasonable notice to the minor’s parents or legal guardian.

In your brother's case, there doesn't seem to be any evidence of patient abandonment, especially as the physician has told the parents she will no longer treat their son. At this point, if you believe your brother is in need of medical care, and if you are his legal guardian, it is your duty to seek such care.

You must stop obsessing about the physician and immediately seek treatment for your brother at another facility or with another physician. Gather copies of your brother's medical records and make plans to visit with one or more physicians. Do so until you find one who will offer the type of tramet your brother so desperately needs.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Treatment Denial Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: