No work restrictions from doctor but still in pain...

by A

I fell at work a year ago and I went to the doctor. They told me it was just a bad ankle sprain. As the year went by my ankle was still bothering me so I went back to the doctor. They finally did an MRI and found a lot of swelling, two bruised bones and also tendinitis. The doctor just told me to try to loose weight and get the pressure off it.

The doctor didn't give me any work restrictions, but I'm still in a lot of pain. What do you think will happen with my workers comp case? Will it close because the doctor hasn't given me any work restrictions? How can I get my pain treated if the doctor refuses? Is there anything else I can do? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "No work restrictions from doctor but still in pain...":

A (USA):

The doctor may have refused further treatment because there really isn’t any more he or she could do medically. Ibuprofen or other over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medication should have already helped relieve the swelling. Bruised bones normally heal themselves. The bones aren’t broken, and other than following the doctor’s orders to lose weight and keep pressure off the ankle, there isn’t much more to be accomplished medically.

Tendonitis can have several causes separate and apart from falling. In any event, tendonitis is another injury which heals with rest and time. You don’t appear to have sufficient medical injuries to warrant a workers compensation claim or additional company-sponsored medical treatment. Instead, you may want to ask for a few days off to allow more time for your injury to heal.

There really isn’t any more you can do other than following your doctor’s advice and getting on with your life.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Workers Compensation Doctor Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: