Non Functioning Traffic Light Causes Automobile Collision...

by Anonymous

I was going to work and got off the expressway at my exit. I was following the flow of traffic which was moving. That's when a taxi driver came out of nowhere at around 40 to 50 miles per hour and we had a collision.

After the collision we noticed the traffic light on both sides was not operational. Before impact I noticed a truck on my right side blocking my view, the truck driver was making a right turn at that intersection.

I feel this accident could have been prevented if the traffic light was functional. I'm wondering if I can sue the city of New York for the non-functioning traffic light which caused our automobile collision? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Non Functioning Traffic Light Causes Automobile Collision...":

Anonymous (USA):

Yes. You have a right to pursue the City of New York for the damages to your vehicle as well as for any injuries you may have sustained. You DON'T have to file a lawsuit. The City of New York, like most cities, has a process by which claims for injured persons or those with property damage are compensated for their injuries.

Filing a Tort Claim is the place to begin. Contact the City Management Office. Tell them you want to file a Tort Claim. They will send you the paperwork you will need to begin the claim reimbursement process. You will have to be patient, as the administration of the Tort Claim's Process can take an inordinate amount of time.

You really don't need an attorney unless you suffered personal injuries, but if you were injured we would recommend meeting with one. Inasmuch as you didn't mention any injuries, filing the Tort Claim will be the best way to successfully resolve your accident.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Road Quality Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: