Our tormented son shot himself...

by Kathy
(Ketchiakn, AK)

Our son was in love with a women who left her abuser after 9 years. They moved in together and the person broke into our son's home, beating him. Our son refused to press charges because "he was a high school friend". The person drove up and down the road the night our son shot himself and died.

The person was tormenting our son as soon as his girlfriend's restraining order ended. I believe our son simply was so kind and couldn't take it anymore and shot himself. I don't care if we see a dime from this but we want the person who did this pay and squirm. Can we file a lawsuit against this person? What can we do?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Our tormented son shot himself...":

Kathy (Ketchiakn, AK):

We're so sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, you will be hard-pressed to succeed in what would be called a "wrongful death" lawsuit against the abuser. To succeed, you would need credible evidence the abuser's actions directly and proximately caused your son's death. That's going to be quite difficult.

Unless your son sought psychological or psychiatric counseling or treatment, and that counseling was based on your son's fear of the abuser, you will have a very difficult time coming up with enough evidence to have any chance of prevailing in a wrongful death lawsuit.

Speak with the woman with whom he lived. She may be able to shed some light on the reason your son committed suicide. Although her testimony may be credible, it probably won't be enough to be the basis of a successful wrongful death lawsuit.

Unfortunately, from the information you've presented there doesn't seem to be any evidence sufficient to proceed with a case against the abuser.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Wrongful Death Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: