Paralyzed After Getting Shot in the Back...

by Paul
(San antonio,TX, USA)

In July 2010 my son was at a party along with 30+ kids. Towards the end of the night some guy started fighting with my son and his best friend. My son knocked the boy to the ground. Then, before my son could turn around to run, the young man pulled a .40 caliber handgun.

He shot my son's friend 4 times killing him instantly, and my son got hit 3 times, severing his spinal cord and puncturing his lung. Now my son is wheelchair bound for the rest of his life - he is about to turn 20 years old. Do we have any rights to sue the apartment complex/management or their security company? Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Paralyzed After Getting Shot in the Back...":

Paul (San Antonio, TX, USA):

Although you didn't mention whether the shootings took place on the apartment complex property, we will assume for the sake of this answer they did. There is a good chance the apartment complex has liability insurance.

There are some cases which can be pursued by individuals without the necessity of attorneys. There are others which require legal representation. Your son's case is one of those that definitely needs an attorney.

It is imperative you or your son's attorney either negotiate a settlement or file a lawsuit before the 2 year Statute of Limitations expires. The Statute of Limitations is the legal time period in which a person must either settle a case or file a lawsuit. Doing so "tolls" the Statute. To toll means to continue without interference or legal resolution.

Most personal injury attorneys will not charge any fee for an initial office consultation. Then, if you decide to retain the attorney, you or your son will not have to pay her until and unless the attorney either negotiates a settlement or wins the case at trial.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Crime Victim Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: