Paralyzed in a Drunk Driver Car Accident...

by Tameka

On May 13, 2007, I was in a car accident. My driver was drunk without my knowledge. I was sitting in the back seat of her car. Before the accident happened we went to get something to eat about 5 miles from my home. After getting the food the driver decided to speed through a tunnel on our way home and lost control of the car.

The car hit a divider that split the road, which made the car flip over 5 times and land in a ditch. I flew from the back seat to the front passenger seat which paralyzed me from the neck down.

As of today I am a c-5 quadriplegic. I am paralyzed for life. Also, the driver had no car insurance and I did not have on my seat belt.

Is it too late to try a lawsuit?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Paralyzed in a Drunk Driver Car Accident...":

Tameka (Chattenooga, TN):

Regrettably it is too late to file a lawsuit. In the State of Tennessee, as in most other states, there is a 2 year Statute of Limitations, or "time period" in which an injured party must either settle a personal injury case or file a lawsuit. If a lawsuit is filed within that 2 year period the Statute "tolls". That means whether the case takes 10 months or 10 years to try, an injured party's legal rights will be protected.

Go back to the date of the collision. See if you or someone else on your behalf possibly filed a lawsuit. Maybe it was filed and forgotten about. As long as the court hasn't dismissed the case your rights are still protected and you can pick up where the suit left off.

Although the odds against a lawsuit still being open are tremendous, you should at least explore the possibility. Other than that, we aren't aware of any other legal options you may have.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Permanent Injury Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: