Permanent loss of function after fall at a home improvement store...

by Vickie
(Anderson, IN, USA)

I am a Dental Hygienist. I fell and broke my wrist because of lack of a motion sensor and the door opening incorrectly at national chain home improvement store. It was broken in 6 places and required surgery, a plate, and 5 screws. I was only off work 5 days, and my medical bills were approximately $18,000.

My surgeon said I have permanently lost 10 percent of the range of motion in my Left hand. I have documented through journaling my ongoing pain and suffering, which I will have to endure both at home and in my profession.

How do I calculate compensation for the loss of function in my hand for the next 15 years of my employment (I make approximately $80,000 a year)? How would I calculate my pain and suffering? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Permanent loss of function after fall at a home improvement store...":

Vickie (Anderson, IN, USA) :

Unlike workers' compensation claims, which award compensation based on type and percentage of disability, personal injury claim compensation is determined by a review of a victim's damages.

In personal injury claims, damages normally include medical, dental and/or chiropractic bills, out-of-pocket expenses (for medications, crutches, bandages, costs of transportation to and from treatment, etc.), lost wages, and pain and suffering.

While today almost all insurance companies utilize a sophisticated software program to determine injury settlement amounts, victim's representing themselves can approximate a reasonable settlement amount by multiplying their medical/dental or chiropractic bills by a multiple ranging from 1.5x, for relatively minor "soft tissue" injuries, to 3x, 4x, 5x and higher for more serious "hard injuries."

In permanent injury cases, it's always best to have an experienced attorney represent you. They know exactly how to factor the permanent loss of function into the demand amount, and have the leverage to make the insurance company take the higher demand seriously (i.e. they can file a lawsuit). Don't try to negotiate this settlement on your own, meet with an attorney ASAP.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Permanent Injury Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: