Permanently Blind In Left Eye...

by Laurie

My mother had cornea surgery a year ago. All was well and she was completely healed soon after the surgery. Then her dog got excited and accidentally butted his head into her eye and loosened the cornea. She found out four months later and there is a good chance she will be permanently blind.

Will her homeowners insurance cover any of her medical expenses? Is there anything she can do? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Permanently Blind In Left Eye...":

Laurie (Michigan):

There is definitely a chance the homeowners insurance will cover your mother's injuries. Pull out the policy. If you can't find it just call the company's 800 number or go online to secure contact information.

Call and make a claim. You can do it on behalf of your mother. Because "negligence" and "fault" are not required in homeowners insurance claims your mother shouldn't have any problem being reimbursed or compensated for her injuries. Most personal injuries which occur on residential property are covered under homeowners insurance policies.

Before you contact the insurance company compile copies of all of your mother's medical bills, out of pocket expenses such as prescription and over the counter medications, and any other receipts for monies spent in any way related to your mother's injuries.

Subsequent to your reporting the injury an insurance claims adjuster will contact you. She will want to take your mother's recorded statement, either in person or telephonically. That is standard procedure.

Once the insurance adjuster completes her investigation the insurance company will begin to reimburse your mother for the costs resulting from her injuries.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Dog Accident Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: