Police Officer Causes Crash...

by Eric
(Warren, Michigan, USA)

I was riding my 49cc moped to work on the morning of 12-18-12 when a police car was coming in the opposite directing toward me on a two way street. There were no emergency lights on and he was not on his way to a call. The police officer was responding to a non-emergency call when he turned left in front of me, causing me to to crash into the passenger side of his car and go through the side window.

The officer was found at fault for the accident. I was in the hospital for three days and two nights. I had a bruised sternum, cuts and stitches to my right eye & chin, and my knee ended up with torn ligaments that I went to physical therapy for three times a week for 5 weeks. I was off of work for approx 3 months, as directed by my doctor.

I was curious what ball park amount of a settlement a case like this would settle for? Any information you can offer would be great. Thanks for your time.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Police Officer Causes Crash...":

Eric (Warren, Michigan, USA):

It's impossible to accurately compute the amount of your settlement. Hopefully you are being represented by an attorney. If so, you can turn to her for an answer. Otherwise a rough way to calculate your settlement might be to multiply your medical bills alone by 3, 4, 5 or more times. Your injuries seem to be serious enough to merit a multiple closer to 4 or 5.

It's important not to agree to a settlement until you have reached a maximum level of medical improvement. This means you should refrain from settling your case until your doctors have told you they have completed their medical treatment. Any further treatment would fall under the category of therapy.

Do not settle your case until you have consulted with an experienced personal injury attorney. Without an attorney to issue a subpoena, you don't have access to the police records including the dispatch to the non-emergency call.

A good example of your inability to represent yourself lies in your conflicted statements. At first you say "...he was not on his way to a call." Then you contradict yourself by saying the "...police officer was responding to a non-emergency call." These are examples of the need for an attorney. Inaccuracies and conflicts can undermined your case.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Comments for Police Officer Causes Crash...

Click here to add your own comments

Nothing happens
by: Anonymous

A police officer caused my accident and he covered himself in the report by blaming me. I wish I had a dash cam and a recorder at the scene, because in writing his story changed.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Government Claim Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: