Problems with Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury Coverage...

by Anonymous

My husband was in an auto accident with a driver who was cited for failing to maintain their lane. She managed to give false insurance information to the police as we later learned she was uninsured.

My husband went to the hospital by ambulance and all bills were paid by his work health insurance plan, it's a group plan overseen by his union. Thankfully his injuries were not life threatening. He went through physical therapy for neck & elbow pain (he hit the guardrail at 70 mph).

Our Auto insurance company had promptly given us a property settlement for the totaled vehicle, he was then assigned a separate adjuster for bodily injury (we have UI/UM coverage). This was 10 months ago.

The adjuster has called, and said he hasn't received any info from the doctors. My husband did sign the medical release authorization. My guess is this adjuster is full of it, he wants us to fax copies of bills and he never asked for medical records.

We'd like to know what we should write in the letter to the adjuster. We did not plan on making a demand but wanted to see what offer he makes. My husband recently went back to the doctor for existing pain that is intensifying, and he recently had more x-rays and an MRI but we don't know the results yet.

Should we send the medical bills to the adjuster with a letter demanding compensation? We really don't know what to do. Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Problems with Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury Coverage...":

Anonymous (USA):

You seem to be going through what too many people in this country go through. Insurance companies are notorious for doing everything they are legally permitted to do to withhold money from their customers as well as those who deserve compensation for their injuries.

Every day a Claims Adjuster holds money back is another day their company gets to keep their money in the bank. Multiply your claim by hundreds of thousands of daily claims and you can imagine the millions, if not billions of dollars insurance companies keep in the bank drawing interest. In the insurance and banking business its referred to as “the float”.

Write a demand letter to your insurance Claims Adjuster. Calculate your husband’s medical bills and multiply the total by at least 3x and you will eventually be in a position to make a demand for at least that amount. That would be a good way to start the settlement negotiations. But before you do, wait to see what your husband’s injuries turn out to be. Until such time as you know approximately what the final total of medical bills will be, you won’t be in a position to make a claim.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Self-representation Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: