Proof my job as a dental assistant caused carpal tunnel and arthritis?

by Cindy
(Hilbert, WI, United States)

I have been a dental assistant for 18 years at the same place. I have been experiencing pain in my fingers/hands/wrists for quite some time now. Doctors said it was tendinitis. I finally had swelling in my wrist and the doctor took me seriously.

I do have carpal tunnel, tendinitis, and arthritis with bone spurs. I had one doctor say to me, "You and I know both that it came from your job, but you have to prove it." How can I prove it?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Proof my job as a dental assistant caused carpal tunnel and arthritis?":

Cindy (Hilbert, WI, United States):

You may not have to prove your job caused the carpal tunnel syndrome. You've been at your job for 18 years. It's unlikely anyone would doubt your carpal tunnel syndrome was caused anywhere else.

Contact your employer's workers compensation insurance company and file a claim. An insurance adjuster will investigate the facts. Unless the adjuster can find evidence of a pre-existing injury, or that you engage in activities outside of work which may have caused your carpal tunnel syndrome, you shouldn't have any problem having workers comp cover your medical bills.

In the event your employer doesn't carry workers compensation insurance you will need to ask the dentist for the name of his office liability insurance company. You will go through the same procedure with the liability insurance adjuster.

In the event you run into a any problems you can always consult with a workers compensation attorney. Most won't charge a fee for an initial office consultation.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Carpal Tunnel Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: