Property Manager Refusing to Give Insurance Information...

by Ann
(Mount Airy, NC)

I tripped and fell and broke my wrist. I was on a small walkway which was off balance which led to a small step-down area which was not lit very well. It led to the mall parking lot where I tripped over a pothole and speedbump, falling and breaking my wrist. Now I have a titanium plate and 8 screws in my arm from the break.

The property managers will not give me the insurance company name so I can file a claim. What can I do to get them to give me their insurance information so I can file a personal injury claim? Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Property Manager Refusing to Give Insurance Information...":

Ann (Mount Airy, NC):

If the property managers refuse to give you the name of their insurance company you can do several things:

First: Go online and attempt to find the name of the property owner. If you can't easily find the owner's names then go to your County Records Department in which the building is located. If you don't know how to start a search, ask one of the clerks. As long as you have the address of the building you shouldn't have any problems.

Second: Call the owners and tell them you were injured. Tell them where and when it happened. Tell them you've already incurred substantial medical bills and there is a good chance there will be more. What you are really trying to get is the name of their insurance company.

Third: The owners may give you the name of their insurance company, but it is more likely they will take your information and have someone from their insurance company contact you. Once you make contact with the owner's insurance company tell them about your injuries. Tell them you have already incurred substantial medical bills and will probably be incurring more into the future. If they want to cooperate you will be on your way to a negotiated settlement

Fourth: If all else fails and no one will cooperate with you, your next step will be to consider legal action. Your case sounds significant enough so that you will probably need the advice and counsel of qualified personal injury attorney. Contact a few. Most will not charge you a fee for an initial office consultation.

You must know that absent cooperation from the management or owners there is no other way to secure the insurance information other than legal action. Hopefully you won't have to resort to legal action, but you should know at least there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Landlord Dispute Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: