Pushed by an angry customer inside an electronics store...

by Laura
(Seattle, Washington)

A few days ago I was pushed about 10 feet sideways inside a well-known electronics store by a customer. The customer was angry for whatever reason and shoved me as hard as he could. My hip has been hurting ever since. I remember feeling something pop when it happened.

I also have MS (Multiple Sclerosis) and when it happened no employee even offered to help me, they didn't even offer to call the police. I went outside to tell my husband and to call the police. The man was arrested. Now I'm wondering what I should do? I don't have medical insurance and I can't afford to see a doctor. I can't sleep at night because of my hip pain.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Pushed by an angry customer inside an electronics store...":

Laura (Seattle, Washington):

You need to seek medical care at your state or county's medical care facility. In most cases you will be treated without having to first pay or submit your insurance information.

The store isn't liable for injuries perpetrated by another customer. An exception might be if the store owner or management knew a customer had a previous history of violence in the store and took no action to secure a court order to keep the customer from entering the premises.

In this case there is no evidence the store employees knew the customer, or could have known the customer would assault you. Your case is against the person who assaulted you, and it appears your case is strong. The police report alone should be enough to easily prove the man assaulted you.

Before you can take any civil action you must be treated for your injuries. Otherwise there isn't a basis upon which a settlement or court award can be made.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Assault & Battery Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: