Visitor Question

Alcohol Related Car Accident Results in Closed Head Injury…

Submitted By: June (Tulsa, OK)

I had a closed head injury in 1996. I was hit by a drunk driver who had stolen a car. A pastor was behind the wheel of the car that I was in and he died instantly. I was in a coma for 9 days and the left side of my body will be messed up for the rest of my life.

I had a head shunt in my head to monitor my brain but it has been taken out. I also wear eye glasses from the accident and I also have a real hard time remembering things.

After all of those years now the insurance company wants to settle with me. They were paying all of my doctor bills that had to do with my accident. I would like to know how much money would be appropriate for my settlement? Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear June,


We can only hope you were represented by a skilled Personal Injury Attorney. Your injuries were quite obviously massive. There is so much to take into consideration when considering settlement of a case of this magnitude.

It is first important to know how much insurance the at-fault driver was carrying, and how much insurance is available from the late pastor’s and your uninsured motorist policies, if any.

Secondly all of your medical bills, out of pocket expenses, lost wages and present and future pain and suffering must be taken into consideration.

Normally we would suggest your medical bills be multiplied by 3 as a starting point, but in your case it should probably be much more than that.

Out of respect to you and your late Pastor we would prefer to suggest you seek the services of a skilled Personal Injury Attorney before making any decision to settle.

If you are presently represented by counsel then you should rely on her good advice. We wish you well and that you will have a speedy recovery.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: May 30, 2011

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2437 (11) {
    string(31) "Car Accident Head Injury Claims"
    string(11) "page_id_101"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "196"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *