Visitor Question

Attacked by Club Owner and Bouncer…

Submitted By: Roque (Sacramento, CA)

I was chased down by a night club owner and bouncer and was punched and kicked outside of the club property (on 11-05-11). I then got arrested for being drunk in public and the owner and bouncer got off scot free for their assault.

I feel like I was doing the right thing by running from them and trying to get off of their property. I have injuries and hospital bills. Is there anything I can do about this?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Roque,

You certainly have a legal right to

pursue the owner of the bar for the injuries you suffered and the resulting medical bills. In that claim you can also ask for additional amounts for your out of pocket expenses, such as prescription medications and over the counter aids as well. If you missed work you can also ask the owner to compensate you for your lost wages.

Asking is one thing. Getting the owner to agree is another.

You can either file a small claims lawsuit against the owner or seek the advice of a personal injury attorney. Most personal injury attorneys will not charge you for an initial office consultation. Once you visit with several personal injury lawyers you will have a better idea of your rights and the bar owner’s obligations.

In California the maximum, or “jurisdictional” amount a person can sue for in small claims court is $7,500 dollars. If your medical bills and your additional costs are within that range you can consider a claim in small claims court.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: November 6, 2011

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2437 (11) {
    string(67) "Bodily Injury Insurance Claims for Accidents in Bars and Nightclubs"
    string(10) "page_id_93"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "276"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *