Visitor Question

Attacked by Man with a Machete…

Submitted By: Nichole (Bronx, New York)

In 2009 in the Bronx, New York, I was attacked by a man who nearly chopped my left arm off with a machete. I was 18 at the time. I had to have surgery and the doctors told me that from the swing of the machete, a couple of my major tendons were cut and it was permanently damaged.

It bothers me up to this very day. I had to have therapy for a long time. I was depressed and from that point on never trusted another man. I was always looking over my shoulder. I was terrified and I still am due to the fact that he only got 2 weeks of community service for this crime. It bothers me everyday.

I have not returned to my normal self and I don’t think I ever will. I was traumatized that day and still feel that he will try something to hurt me again. I have suffered a lot because of that incident and I am still scared for my life. I also had to pay a lot of money for therapy trips to the hospital and doctor’s office.

I just want to know if there is anything I can do even though it has been over 2 and a half years? Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Nichole,

You may still have time to file a lawsuit against the man. The State of New York has a three (3) year Statute of limitations, or “time period” in which a person can file a civil lawsuit against another person or entity for a personal injury.

If you haven’t done so already, contact the New York City Police Department and secure a copy of the police report. Then contact the District Attorneys Office and secure a copy of the contents of the criminal case file against the man.

Next, contact the hospital and any other attending medical providers and secure copies of the contents of your medical files as they relate to your injury.

All of the above information will serve as a foundation for your case against this man

Now comes the difficult part…

Before you decide to file a lawsuit you must decide whether doing so will be a viable decision. If the man has no money or other assets, and there doesn’t seem to be any reason for you to believe he will come into any substantial amounts soon, you might be wasting your time.

Presuming the man is not financially solvent you can still sue him and take a judgment against him. That judgment will accrue interest at the lawful rate, and at some time in the near future you may be able to levy against any money or other assets he may come into.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: March 26, 2012

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#1942 (11) {
    string(77) "Crime Victims Rights & Restitution for Physical and Psychological Damages"
    string(11) "page_id_139"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "140"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *