Visitor Question

Baby Bit in Face by Pit Bull…

Submitted By: Anonymous (Nebraska)

My son was less than a year old and was left alone in a room with his mother’s pit bull. My son was bit in the face and had to have surgery to fix his face.

Would I be able to get custody of my son in Nebraska if his mother’s pit bull attacked him? Is there anything else I can do to make sure the dog doesn’t hurt him again? Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Anonymous,

You can contact CPS (Child Protective Services) in the county in which you live. Get copies of all of your son’s medical bills. There must be photographs. Get those as well.

Contact the local district attorney’s office. See if they will consider filing a criminal charge against the mother for child neglect or abuse. If so, will that serve as additional supporting evidence in your pursuit of custody.

You don’t need a personal injury attorney. Instead seek out a family law attorney. Be prepared to pay a consultation fee of several hundred dollars.

Unlike personal injury attorneys who don’t charge any fee until they settle or win the case, family law attorneys charge an hourly rate. It is highly probable you will need to pay a retainer in advance. Custody cases can be very expensive.

If all else fails contact your state attorney general. They have a department which handless custody and child support. If you qualify their services are free. Be mindful though, there is a long waiting list.

Other than CPS, the DA’s office, the State Attorney General, and the advice and representation of a family law attorney, there isn’t much else to be done. Taking advantage of those opportunities will be your best bet.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: April 21, 2012

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#1942 (11) {
    string(64) "Liability for Dangerous Dog Breeds and Compensation for Injuries"
    string(11) "page_id_140"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "164"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *