Visitor Question

Bicycle totaled when car crashed into convenience store…

Submitted By: James (Fremont, CA)

I was in 7-11, and I had parked my bike outside the door.

As I stood in line, a car came crashing into the front of the store.

I was not injured in the accident, but my bike was totaled. When the police arrived, they did not take a statement from me, nor did they have any concern for my bike.

I ended up picking up my bike and carrying it home. In the following days, I called the 7-11 where this took place (to get the name of the driver who had crashed into the store). And they were not willing to give that information to me.

I don’t even know if it was mentioned in the police report of my bike, and I don’t know the guy’s name who was at fault. Is there anything I can do to get compensated for the damage to my bike?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear James,

Contact the police department and request a copy of the police report. You have right to the report and should not be charged more than about $10.00 for it. In the report will be the driver’s name and contact information. If the driver was not the owner, the driver and the owners name will be in the report.

Moreover, if the car was insured, the name and contact information for the insurance company should also be in the police report. Contact the insurance company and tell them you want to file a property damage claim. Be sure to have the police report with you when speaking with the insurance company.

Your claim will be assigned to an insurance company claims adjuster. Be sure to write down the adjuster’ name, phone number, and the claim number.

Secure estimates or the repair to your bicycle. The claims adjuster will need that information to settle the claim. Take photographs of the damage as well. The adjuster will need them to verify damages and to help pay the claim.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: April 16, 2015

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2437 (11) {
    string(68) "3 Steps to Building a Personal Injury Claim After a Bicycle Accident"
    string(10) "page_id_82"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "171"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *