Visitor Question

Bike Rider in Coma After Getting Hit by a Car…

Submitted By: Stephanie (La Mesa, CA)

On Wednesday, 1/18/2012 at 5:30pm my 19 year old brother was ridding his bike down a hill. He hit a bump in the sidewalk and his bike went out of control. He veered into the street and a car hit him, the impact threw my brother 20 feet away.

My brother is now in coma in critical condition. My family and I didn’t find out he was in the hospital until 8:30pm that night. We tried to get a police report but received nothing until the next day. They gave us the case number, telling us that we had to go pick up the report, called a “traffic report”.

I thought that when the accident happened they would have taken the bike as evidence of how the accident happened, but they didn’t. My brother’s friend took the bike home the next day. According to witnesses the driver got arrested because he was an illegal alien and got set back to Mexico. We don’t know what to do.

Can we file a personal injury case against anyone to help pay my brother’s medical bills?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Stephanie,

Because the police effected an arrest your brother might have access to a Victims’ Compensation Fund.

Contact the San Diego County District Attorneys Office. They have a Victims’ Access Department. They may have access to a Victims’ Compensation Fund. That fund is available to help the victims of crime.

Call the following telephone numbers. Dong so should afford you access to the Victims of Crime Department…

Adult Probation Department (619) 515-8202

Juvenile Records Department (858) 694-4319

Once you contact the San Diego County Victims’ Assistance Department you will be directed to one of the County’s employees. That person will probably be a probation officer. Although the person who hit your son was arrested and deported without having to stand trial, there may be some difficulty in securing access to any available funds.

You have nothing to lose by contacting the department. If they can’t help you they may be able to direct you to another department which will.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: January 26, 2012

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2437 (11) {
    string(68) "3 Steps to Building a Personal Injury Claim After a Bicycle Accident"
    string(10) "page_id_82"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "169"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *