Visitor Question

Bitten By My Father’s Cat…

Submitted By: Regina (California)

My Dad’s cat bit me while I was bathing him. My hand is numb and bruised at the site where the cat punctured it and wouldn’t let go. I basically had a thirty pound Siamese cat hanging from the side of my right hand.

I went to the Urgent Care clinic under my health insurance the same night. They gave me a TDP shot, soaked the wound in Bedidine and prescribed 875mg of Augmenten twice a day for 10 days. Thirty six hours later, my hand is still numb and very sore with its own pulse when I hold it below my heart.

I don’t want to sue my dad, but would like to know about filing a claim against his homeowners insurance policy, if possible. What are my options? Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Regina,

You probably won’t have to sue your dad. Instead you can file a claim with his homeowners insurance company. Simply compile copies all your medical bills. Once you have those in hand ask your father for the name of his homeowners insurance company, the policy number and telephone number as well.

Call the insurance company and file a claim. Once you do you will soon thereafter be contacted by a claims representative. She will undoubtedly want to take your recorded telephonic statement. That is perfectly normal. Just cooperate and tell the truth.

The claims adjuster’s job is to investigate a claim, and once investigated to decided whether to accept liability on behalf of her insured, your father.

If the adjuster decides to accept liability on behalf of your father she will then discuss with you the injuries you suffered and the cost of treatment and recovery you may need. From there you can negotiate a settlement.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: January 18, 2012

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2470 (11) {
    string(72) "Liability for Dog Attacks and How to File Claims for Injury Compensation"
    string(11) "page_id_159"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "302"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *