Visitor Question

Boy Injured at After School Function…

Submitted By: Shawn (Grants Pass, OR)

My 7 year old broke his arm at an after school function that the school was putting on. A local sports place brought in a trampoline and that’s what he broke his arm on. I was there and saw it happen.

We do not have insurance. Does the school’s or sports place’s insurance cover my son’s injuries? They are trying to say they’re not responsible, as of now $1,700 in medical bills is owed. How do I get them to pay for the medical bills?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Shawn,

Regrettably if neither the school or the provider of the trampoline will agree to pay your son’s medical bills your only alternative may be to pursue legal action against one or both of them.

You can threaten to sue either or both entities, but they may not take you seriously. Pursuing a legal claim against a school or another business takes legal knowledge and legal abilities.

Instead of your threatening to sue then you might consider contacting a personal injury attorney. Most personal injury attorneys will not charge a prospective client for an initial office consultation.

Once you meet with one or more personal injury attorneys you will know what your chances of success will be and whether you will want to retain a personal injury attorney or not.

If you decide to retain a personal injury attorney it is altogether possible the attorney may recover substantially more than the amount of your son’s medical bills.

In addition to his medical bills the attorney may be able to recover an additional amount for your son’s medical bills, your out of pocket expenses such as your son’s medications, your lost wages if it becomes necessary for you to miss work to take care of your son, and finally an additional amount for your son’s pain and suffering.

You will have nothing to lose by retaining a personal injury attorney because the attorney will be paid only when, and if, he or she prevails in your son’s case.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: January 13, 2012

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2437 (11) {
    string(57) "Liability and Injury Compensation for Accidents at School"
    string(10) "page_id_37"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "204"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *