Visitor Question

Broken Ankle from Trying to Enter a Residence…

Submitted By: Lawrence (Arizona)

I was staying as a guest in Arizona but I’m from California. The owner of the home I was staying at gave me consent to stay there while he was away on a trip. When he returned after his trip he became upset about the light bill. I went out to walk my dogs and when I came back the door was locked. He never gave me a key because he said he never locked the doors previously.

I told him from the outside of the locked door I needed my medication and I was packing to leave. He refused to let me in so I tried to reach over to the other balcony. I fell and was taken to the hospital. I now have a fracture in my right ankle.

This happened in September 2011. My father came from California to drive me home. Do I have a case for my injuries? Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Lawrence,

This is one of the more strange questions we have received in a while. Believe it or not you do actually have a basis upon which to file a claim.

It will be difficult, but you need to find out the name of the owner’s homeowners insurance company. Once you have that information contact the insurance company to report your injuries.

Within a few weeks you will probably be contacted by an insurance Claims Adjuster. She will ask you for a recorded statement.

You really don’t need to get into the personal problems you seem to be having with the homeowner. Just explain you were outside when you fell while leaning over to reach the other balcony. That’s really all the relevant information the Adjuster should need.

If she asks you more questions just answer them fully and truthfully. She will ask to record your statement over the telephone. There is nothing nefarious about that. It is standard procedure.

Hopefully she will accept liability on behalf of her insured. When she does you should be compensated for your injuries, and possibly more for your out of pocket expanse, lost wages, and pain and suffering.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: September 27, 2011

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2437 (11) {
    string(39) "Homeowner Insurance Claims for Injuries"
    string(11) "page_id_232"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "258"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *