Visitor Question

Broken Fibula from Fall…

Submitted By: Frank (Sparta, TN)

I fell off a three foot landing (porch) while feeding dogs for the owner of a property. She has seventeen dogs. I was living there for about two months.

As a result of the fall I broke my fibula bone, needed surgery and had a plate inserted. I was not getting paid. The insurance company said they will pay only one thousand dollars. The hospital and surgery will cost much more. Should I get a lawyer?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Frank,

Yes. It would be a very good idea to seek the advice and counsel of a local personal injury attorney. From the facts you present it appears you have a legitimate case.

Most homeowners carry liability insurance. That insurance is purchased by a homeowner to cover just the type of injuries you suffered.

You do not have to “sue” the homeowner. The entire matter can be dealt with professionally and amicably. Simply contact the homeowner and ask her for the name, telephone number and policy number of her homeowners insurance company.

If the homeowner hesitates to give you the necessary insurance information you can tell her your only option will be to seek the advice of a personal injury attorney.

Hopefully the homeowner will cooperate. If she doesn’t, your only alternative may be to actually consult with a personal injury attorney. Most will not charge any fee for an initial office consultation. Then if the attorney accepts your case you won’t have to pay her until, and unless she either negotiates a settlement or wins your case against the insurance company at trial.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: December 12, 2011

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2470 (11) {
    string(39) "Homeowner Insurance Claims for Injuries"
    string(11) "page_id_232"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "266"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *