Visitor Question

Broken marble table injured my wife…

Submitted By: Jeremy (Sacramento, CA, USA)

We were at a restaurant having dinner tonight when the leg of a very heavy marble table fell off, like it wasn’t even attached. This of course caused the table and all of its contents to crush my wife’s leg underneath, before the glasses and bowls slid of to the floor breaking.

My 2 and 5 year old were sitting with my wife and could have been crushed by the table. This should not have happened. I am still shaking.

The manager comped our party’s meal and gave us a $50 gift card. This does nothing for our ruined night and anxiety attacks I’m still having thinking about my children nearly being severely injured of worse. What can we do about this? A table that heavy should have been securely built. What type of lawyer in Sacramento should we contact about this incredible neglect by this restaurant?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Jeremy,

Absent medical injuries, you should simply enjoy the comped meal and the $50.00 dollar gift card and move on. Absent medical or psychiatric bills, you will have great difficulty finding an attorney to accept your case.

We live in a litigious society. You would be surprised at how many people think they deserve money for “anxiety” caused by some event.

This is especially true when the claimants believe the person or company responsible for their anxiety have deep pockets.

From the facts you present, the toppling of the table didn’t result in medical or psychiatric bills for you, your wife, or your children. The “incredible neglect” you claim the restaurant perpetrated upon you, your wife, and children isn’t sufficient to form the basis of a personal injury claim.

In the alternative, if you are able to find a psychologist or psychiatrist to confirm the event caused psychological problems, possibly post-traumatic stress disorder or something similar, you may have a claim. Unfortunately, from the facts you set out, that’s highly unlikely.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: December 14, 2013

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2437 (11) {
    string(33) "Restaurant Liability for Injuries"
    string(11) "page_id_407"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "274"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *