Visitor Question

Burn scar on back?

Submitted By: Joseph (Trenton, NJ)

In June I had a catheter ablation done. After the procedure was done I noticed that I had some type of abrasion the upper right side of my back.

When I showed the abrasion to the doctor who did the ablation he told me that it was a burn and it probably came from being shocked back into sinus rhythm after the procedure was completed.

He told me it would heel and that it should not have happened. It still itches and is sometimes painful. It also is a very unsightly scar where the burn healed. Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Joseph,

Joseph (Trenton, NJ:

The admission from your doctor that the burn “should not have happened” is very strong evidence against him. The next question relates to the extent of your injury. If the scar will be permanent, you have the basis of a substantial personal injury/medical malpractice claim against the doctor and the hospital where the procedure occurred.

If the scar is transient and will heal within a reasonably short time, your claim is not as strong. There is no doubt that you have the basis of an injury claim. The question though, is how much the claim is worth, and the extent you want to go to prosecute your claim.

If the scar is transient you may be able to handle the claim on your own, and without the advice and counsel of a personal injury attorney. In the alternative, if the scar is permanent, you really should seek legal representation from an experienced malpractice attorney. Either way, meet with several attorneys to get their perspective. Most offer a free initial consultation.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: December 12, 2013

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#1942 (11) {
    string(66) "How to Identify Physician Malpractice and What You Can Do About It"
    string(11) "page_id_371"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "228"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *