Visitor Question

Can I file a claim on my Dad’s policy?

Submitted By: Chris (Illinois)

I was involved in a hit and run and was injured. I was crossing the street as a pedestrian and a car hit me, then took off. I pay for my dad’s car insurance with state farm, and he has full coverage. I was wondering, could my dad file a claim and get a settlement for me under the uninsured motorist portion?

We don’t live at the same address. I do have medical bills from that day and it’s a 5 month recovery. Any information you can give about my ability to file a claim on my dad’s insurance (which I pay) would be great. Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Chris,


Unless you are listed as an insured on your dad’s uninsured motorist policy, or your dad has separate medical insurance covering you, you won’t be covered.


The State of Illinois does not require drivers to carry personal injury protection insurance (PIP). If though, your dad had PIP and you were listed as an insured, you can file a claim under his PIP insurance.


Homeowners insurance sometimes covers injuries not occurring at the home. Check to see if you are listed as an insured on your dad’s homeowners policy.

Fourth: The State of Illinois has a Victims Compensation Program which pays victims of violent crimes for any injuries sustained at the hands of a criminal. To see if you qualify, contact the State of Illinois Attorney Generals Office.

Barring coverage under the above four scenarios, you may have to carry the burden of the medical bills and the extended treatment and recovery period on your own.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: December 17, 2014

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2470 (11) {
    string(60) "Hit and Run Accidents and Compensation for Personal Injuries"
    string(11) "page_id_229"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "211"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *