Visitor Question

Can I Get Injury Compensation Even Though I Was Drunk Driving?

Submitted By: Marley (Hollis, NY)

I was drunk driving and crashed into a parked truck. I broke my right hand which is my dominant hand. I was brought to the hospital in an emergency vehicle and saw the doctor. They transferred me to another hospital for surgery but before the surgery was done I was released into the custody of the police.

When released from jail I went back to the doctor for the surgery and was told I had no insurance. The vehicle I was driving was insured. My wife put me on her insurance which took about three months. I went back to the doctor and they told me my hand healed back in a deformed way. Now I can hardly use it.

What can I do? Can I get compensation from someone for my injuries even though I was drunk driving?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Marley,

It will be very difficult to find a person or an insurance company to compensate you for your injuries. You can’t be identified purely as a victim because you were the person who caused your own injuries. Instead you are a victim and an at-fault party.

Theoretically you can sue yourself for your own negligence in causing the collision. Of course that is a practical impossibility.

There is another way to look at the problem. You mentioned you were intoxicated when the injury occurred. You didn’t mention whether you were arrested, or worse, convicted of driving while intoxicated or driving under the influence.

If you were not convicted you may still have a chance to prevail in your claim.

If you haven’t yet reported the collision to your insurance company, do so now.

When you report the collision your claim will be assigned a claim number and assigned to a Claims Adjuster. Contact her and tell her you want to be reimbursed for the costs of your medical treatment since the date of the collision. Tell her you will need additional treatment, and possible surgery to correct the damage to your hand.

The worst that can happen is the Claims Adjuster will refuse to pay, but the best case is that she may just agree. Even if she refuses to pay all of the costs of your treatment, she may agree to pay for some of it. You won’t know until you try.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: June 18, 2017

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#1942 (11) {
    string(56) "Gathering Evidence of Liability in Drunk Driving Crashes"
    string(11) "page_id_180"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "171"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *