Visitor Question

Can I go out of town for my case?

Submitted By: Pauline (Roque Bluffs, ME)

I was hit from behind in my car. This is a small town & most people know everybody. The woman who hit me is my landlord’s daughter (I think in her thirties). I don’t feel I would have a fair trial in this town due to this information and the relationship everyone has with each other.

This woman is not the owner of the car. She was using a friend’s car. Should I be suing both her and her friend, or what? The owner of the car’s insurance has paid for my car damage. Now I am going to be working with a lawyer for the medical bills and pain & suffering.

Any info on this type of situation would be helpful to me as I have never done this. Also any info on hiring a lawyer would also be valuable as I have not done so yet. We are supposed to meet possibly tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Pauline,

It’s our policy not to interfere with an attorney-client relationship. To do so would be improper. You really should listen to your attorney’s advice. Generally speaking, the good news is you probably won’t have to sue anybody. In most cases, personal injury claims are settled well before a lawsuit has to be filed. There doesn’t seem to be any evidence your claim will be any different.

Whether you live in a small town or not really shouldn’t matter. Your injury claim will be handled by an insurance claim adjuster who is likely in an office in New York, Chicago, or some other city far away from Roque Bluffs, ME.

Your attorney will know whether it’s appropriate to pursue damages from the driver and the owner’s insurance company. There may be a subrogation issue involved. This means pursuing settlements from both insurance companies might result in one or both companies attempting to limit their exposure by demanding reimbursement compensation.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: November 19, 2013

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2470 (11) {
    string(41) "Injury Claims for Rear-end Auto Accidents"
    string(11) "page_id_400"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "271"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *