Visitor Question

Can I recover for Anxiety and Memory Loss?

Submitted By: Angela (Oakville, Ontario)

I was the front seat passenger in a t-bone accident. We were attempting to make a left turn and the plaintiff passed the red light and went into me.

I suffered a concussion plus head, neck and back injuries. Since then I still have head, neck and back pain. I have had assessments done by a neuropsychologist, neurologist, psychologist all supporting my case that I am depressed and am suffering lots of anxiety.

Also my psychoneurologist says that I have experienced some short-term memory loss. I now have problems multi-tasking and concentrating. It is difficult for me to learn and remember things. I am really upset that my dreams have been shattered. I had hoped that one day I would have my own HR firm.

Now I dont’ think it will ever happen.

I was an administrative assistant shortly after the accident and found it extremely stressful since I had to do a lot of multi-tasking.

I am now a CSR at Mercer and still find it extremely hard to concentrate and learn.

I am 31 years and a single mom. I am worried about my future, my future goals, my health. What can I do?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Angela,

The most important thing right now is that you take care of your health, for your sake and for the sake of your child(ren) who depend on you.

It sounds as if you are doing that with multiple medical professionals who substantiate your injuries.

Next, if you have not already done so, you need to contact the individual driving the car in which you were hit, and find out if they have submitted a claim to the other party’s insurance provider.

(Remember that there is a statute of limitations providing guidelines on how long you have to submit a claim. In most jurisdictions that time frame is two years.)

If they HAVE submitted a claim, you need to get the name, address, phone and fax number of the adjuster and contact them to advise of your intention to submit a claim as well.

If they have not, you will need to make first contact with the other party’s insurance company yourself.

Being able to connect your injuries to the collision is key. Sometimes you need not only competent medical professionals but also an attorney to review your case and to help articulate the connection between the accident and the symptoms you are experiencing today.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: April 7, 2010

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2435 (11) {
    string(63) "How Emotional Distress Affects Pain and Suffering Reimbursement"
    string(11) "page_id_338"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "288"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *