Visitor Question

Can I Sue for a Work Related Accident?

Submitted By: Danielle (Canada)

I lost the tip of my right 5th finger, due to a work place injury.

I’m currently on a permanent lay-off. Since this is a permanent impairment due to a work related accident, can I sue for compensation? Who would my suit be against? Any help would be appreciated.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Danielle,

If your injury occurred during the course of your employment, this would be considered a Worker’s Compensation injury. In those circumstances, you would need to notify your employer of the injury. Typically they have internal methods of dealing with such workplace injuries.

In addition, they have specific doctors that they will want you to see.

Many view this as suing your employer, however all employers are required to have insurance covering these situations.

Once the claim has been assessed, they will assign a percentage of disability as a result of the injury. For example, “the injury renders this plaintiff 50% disabled.”

This determines your compensation and settlement options.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: May 6, 2010

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#1940 (11) {
    string(65) "Compensation for Amputated Fingers and Loss of Body Parts at Work"
    string(11) "page_id_204"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "119"

One thought on “Can I Sue for a Work Related Accident?

  1. The situation is that I was removing a steel 100lb pipe from the ground. The pipe stood about 5 feet. I hoisted the pipe from the ground and moved it out to the side. I tripped on the curb and fell and the steel pipe fell right on my right leg / shin / ankle.

    I had to go to the hospital and come to find out that when my boot was removed, my right ankle was extremely swollen. We have to put these pipes in the ground and remove them on a daily basis. No one helps us put these pipes in the ground and no one helps pulling them out.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *