Visitor Question

Cannot talk or sing after a facelift…

Submitted By: Marilyn (Worcester, MA)

I was under general anesthesia for an hour when the anesthesiologist did not like the flow of oxygen.

I was re-intubated with a metal tube, which caused scarring on my larynx.

A month post operation and my voice is hoarse, making communication difficult. I don’t know if this will be permanent.

Do I have a malpractice case or can I obtain some compensation if my voice stays like this? Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Marilyn,

You may have the basis of a medical malpractice claim.

Medical malpractice is defined as professional negligence by act or omission by a healthcare provider in which the treatment provided falls below the accepted standard of practice in the medical community and causes injury or death to the patient, with most cases involving medical error.

While on their face, the facts you present seem to indicate malpractice occurred, it will be necessary to prove the anesthesiologist’s actions or omissions fell below the accepted standard of practice in the medical community and caused your injury.

While you were injured, the question remains whether or not the anesthesiologist’s actions or omissions would have occurred even if another anesthesiologist performed the procedure. If your injury was a foreseeable one, you may not have a malpractice claim.

Gather your medical records and consult with several med mal attorneys in your area. Most will not charge for an initial office consultation. After reviewing your records, the attorney may consult with one or more medical expert anesthesiologists. If these experts believe medical malpractice occurred, you will likely then proceed with a lawsuit.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: January 17, 2015

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#1942 (11) {
    string(61) "Filing a Surgical Malpractice Lawsuit for Injury Compensation"
    string(11) "page_id_457"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "241"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *