Visitor Question

Chair Collapsed While Shopping…

Submitted By: Darlene (West Bloomfield, Michigan)

I was shopping at a major chain department store when a chair collapsed when I sat on it today. I told two of the people that worked there and they removed the broken chair. They didn’t have me fill out an accident report.

I have a few bruises and felt light headed after the fall. I didn’t take it seriously but now I’m not sure if I should see a doctor. Is it to late to do anything about it? Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Darlene,

Well technically it’s not too late to do anything about it. In the State of Michigan a person has up to 2 years from the date of their injury to either settle their case or file a lawsuit. So you have plenty of time.

The problem though is your lack of verifiable and documented injuries. Without specifically confirmed injuries which can be directly linked to the accident it is virtually impossible to collect compensation for your injuries.

Hopefully the store made an Incident Report of some kind. From the facts you present that doesn’t seem likely. Go to a doctor and see if you are injured. Never take a chance after being injured; especially of you are suffering light-headedness.

Also ask the doctor to look at the bruising to be sure there isn’t any internal hemorrhaging.

As unlikely as it may sound, there have been deaths and strokes associated with minor injuries when blood clots formed and were sent through the bloodstream to the heart or brain.

Hopefully the doctors will give you a clean slate. If so, you at least did a good deed by having the employees remove a chair which might have injured someone else more seriously than you.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: September 24, 2011

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2437 (11) {
    string(62) "Claims for Chair Accidents at Restaurants and Other Businesses"
    string(11) "page_id_120"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "143"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *