Visitor Question

Child Injured on the Job…

Submitted By: Anonymous (USA)

My son is 13 years of age. He was at work and was on the back of a moving truck with a trailer hooked onto it. He fell between the truck and trailer and was then run over by the trailer.

My son received several injuries from the accident. His right knee was cut and he had over ten stitches. They did not call the ambulance and instead they drove him to the hospital (after notifying me that my son had been injured very bad while riding on the back of the truck).

I think this accident happened because my son was unsupervised while in the care of his employer. Is there anything I can do?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Anonymous,

You not only don’t have any legal recourse, but if the State Child Protective Services learns about your permitting your 13 year old son to work on or about a moving truck or trailer, you may find yourself in a courtroom on the other end of a child custody case (with the State attempting to take your child away from you on a temporary or permanent basis).

Thirteen year old boys should not be working on moving trucks or moving trailers. They can be seriously hurt or worse. The moving company may also have legal action taken against them for allowing a 13 year old to work for them, but that case will be independent of you.

Your best course of action will be to take care of your son’s medical and personal needs. You really do not have any legal recourse against the moving company, or the entity for which he worked. If you want to ask them to pay your son’s medical bills and they voluntarily agree to pay, then go ahead and accept their money.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: November 20, 2011

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2435 (11) {
    string(68) "Claims for Injuries Due to Unsafe Work Practices and OSHA Violations"
    string(11) "page_id_479"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "189"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *