Visitor Question

Compensation for Care Provided by a Spouse?

Submitted By: Briseyda (Richmond, VA)

I was burned at work and have lost my hearing. I was sent home with open wounds and I had a nurse sent to my house. The nurse came to my house for only 2 days and then she stopped coming. My wife was the one cleaning me afterwards.

Can my wife get compensated for the emotional and psychological damages she had to go through when she cleaned my burns?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Briseyda,

Regrettably, no. Your wife can not be compensated for the emotional and psychological damages she suffered while attending to your wounds. Fairness would dictate she should, but realistically there are very few cases in which the spouse of another injured spouse has been compensated for the emotional and psychological damages suffered while attending to the wounds and injuries of their spouse.

You should though question why the attending nurse left so early.

You have nothing to lose by contacting your supervisor. If your claim was a workmans compensation one, contact the company’s insurance representative. Tell her about your dismay at the early departure of your attending nurse.

Explain to her your wife had to attend to your burns. Her time and care is worth at least as much money as was being paid to the visiting nurse.

Demand that your wife be paid the exact amount (or more) the insurance company was paying the early departed attending nurse. You will only be asking for what is fair. Hopefully this will bring some compensation to your wife for the care and attention she rendered.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: October 24, 2011

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#1942 (11) {
    string(62) "Diagnosing Treating and Getting Compensation for Burns at Work"
    string(10) "page_id_96"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "182"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *