Visitor Question

Crash while on duty…

Submitted By: Debbie (Washington)

My husband was loading trash into the company vehicle, while on duty, when a board slipped and hit the gas pedal.

The cart (vehicle) jumped forward and hit another vehicle.

My husband tried to stop the cart from moving forward and was injured.

His employer is telling him now that his personal insurance would be responsible for any damages, and that he is required to have personal insurance to drive the company vehicle.

We don’t have personal insurance because our car is out of commission at this time.

Whose insurance is responsible for paying for the car damage and my husband’s injuries? Thanks for any information you can give.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Debbie,

Your husband should not have to use his personal health insurance to cover the costs of his medical bills, expenses for medications, and lost wages. From the facts you present, your husband’s injuries occurred while he was in the performance of his job duties.

Workers’ compensation insurance is specifically meant to cover workers who are injured on the job.

Your husband’s employer should immediately make available to your husband an “SR-1” workers’ compensation notice of injury claim form. Completing the SR-1 form and submitting it to your husband’s employer, or his employer’s insurance company, commences the process of compensation for your husband.

If your husband’s employer refuses to cooperate, your husband can go directly to the

Washington State Department of Labor and Commerce. The site is an excellent tool for learning about your husband’s rights under Washington’s Workers’ Compensation laws.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: September 8, 2014

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2437 (11) {
    string(61) "Insurance Coverage and Compensation for Car Accidents at Work"
    string(10) "page_id_38"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "229"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *